how to maintain AH in production environment

how to maintain AH in production environment

Michael Feinberg
Question about "best practices" when it comes to supporting AH in
production environments. So we coded 100+ projects into AH, installed 30
agents to network, add a bunch of 'bsh' integration scrips, kicked back
and let it ride...

Now the question is how to upgrade AH when the new version becomes
available. What do you do? How do you stage AH roll out? How to you
maintain/verify changes to your own scripts with out potentially
impacting your users? Do you have a parallel cluster of AH server/agents
that could run all platform-specific workflows?

Thanks.
_mike

RE: how to maintain AH in production environment

Yanko, Curtis
We test like heck in Dev and Stage environments! For a while.

==========
Curtis Yanko
Application & Developer Infrastructure Services
Source->Build->Deploy
W: 860.702.9059
M: 860.881.2050

Re: how to maintain AH in production environment

Michael Feinberg
 > We test like heck in Dev and Stage environments! For a while.

How do you avoid conflict of build numbers? What do you have for
hardware isolation - where would the deploy workflows deploy when you
are "testing" the new version of the server? What do you do with SCM
labels that originated from the "shadow" system?

Do you have separate agent grids for TEST AH and Production AH?

It seems that I cannot just "back up the database". If the release does
not work I need to downgrade all agents. Is that handled  automatically?

_mike

RE: Re: how to maintain AH in production environment

Pacileo, Kenneth
The Dev and Stage envs are completely separate envs for everything (AHP
servers/agents, dbs, svn servers & repos, etc).  We don't test building
actual prod code on the test and stage envs. Instead we use open source
projects and set them up as scheduled builds.

After testing in Dev and Stage, we backup the server and agent installs
as well as the db before performing the upgrade in prod.

--Ken

 > We test like heck in Dev and Stage environments! For a while.

How do you avoid conflict of build numbers? What do you have for
hardware isolation - where would the deploy workflows deploy when you
are "testing" the new version of the server? What do you do with SCM
labels that originated from the "shadow" system?

Do you have separate agent grids for TEST AH and Production AH?

It seems that I cannot just "back up the database". If the release does
not work I need to downgrade all agents. Is that handled  automatically?

_mike

Re: Re: how to maintain AH in production environment

emerson cargnin
Hi

I usually create a complete copy of the server installation as a
backup, before updating, and we have also our daily DB backup.
Agents are not necessary to backup, and they downgrade automatically.
I also avoid installing a major new version, as it can have some
issues with scripts or detailed configuration.

regards
Emerson