Using parent buildNumber property in dependencies

Using parent buildNumber property in dependencies

Gurinder.Randhawa

How can i pass on my "buildNum" property from top level build to dependent builds?

I'd like to use the same build number across all my dependencies. Is there a better way to do this?

_Gurinder

RE: Using parent buildNumber property in dependencies

Yanko, Curtis
We version every component independently and tie that to SVN revision.

In your scheme you will end up with identical components having different identifiers over their life.

==========
Curtis Yanko
Application & Developer Infrastructure Services
Source->Build->Deploy
W: 860.702.9059
How can i pass on my "buildNum" property from top level build to dependent builds?

I'd like to use the same build number across all my dependencies. Is there a better way to do this?

_Gurinder

RE: Using parent buildNumber property in dependencies

Gurinder.Randhawa

Yes we've just moved over from CVS to Subversion and would definetly like to tie to the SVN revision number, could you outline
steps involved in doing this or is there some documentation on this?

Also can we show the SVN revision as a Stamp on AntHill dashboard?

Thanks

_Gurinder

[Anthill-pro] Using parent buildNumber property in dependencies

How can i pass on my "buildNum" property from top level build to dependent builds?

I'd like to use the same build number across all my dependencies. Is there a better way to do this?

_Gurinder

RE: Using parent buildNumber property in dependencies

Yanko, Curtis
Then we pass to each builder so it can be included in the Manifest of the Component:

-Dbuild.number=${bsh:StampLookup.getLatestStampValue()}
-Dbuild.time="${property:workspace.date}"
-Dsvn.url=${bsh:sourceConfig=BuildLifeLookup.getCurrent().getProfile().getSourceConfig();module=sourceConfig.getModuleArray();return sourceConfig.getRepository().getSvnRoot() + "/" + module[0].getUrl()}
Now, if I look at any given component in production, or anywhere, I can see what version it is, when it was built and where it came from. Since the build number contains the SVN revision there is immediate traceability straight to it without any further lookup.
==========
Curtis Yanko
Application & Developer Infrastructure Services
Source->Build->Deploy
W: 860.702.9059

How to tie SVN Revision to Stamp/Build Number

Gurinder.Randhawa

We are moving over from CVS world to Subversion and would like to use SVN revision number as build number.

How can we set this up in AnthillPro, is there any documentation on setting this up, also what is best practice with SVN? I got some info on this from Yanko a few weeks back passing in lateststampvalue into manifest built number property, however didn't see how SVN revision is retrieved.

--Gurinder

We are moving over from CVS world to Subversion and would like to use SVN revision number as build number.

How can we set this up in AnthillPro, is there any documentation on setting this up, also what is best practice with SVN? I got some info on this from Yanko a few weeks back passing in lateststampvalue into manifest built number property, however didn't see how SVN revision is retrieved.

--Gurinder

RE: How to tie SVN Revision to Stamp/Build Number

Gurinder.Randhawa

No they didn't come through unfortunately. I took a brief look at the stamping context script, is the ChangeSetId same as SVN Revision number?

[Anthill-pro] How to tie SVN Revision to Stamp/Build Number

We are moving over from CVS world to Subversion and would like to use SVN revision number as build number.

How can we set this up in AnthillPro, is there any documentation on setting this up, also what is best practice with SVN? I got some info on this from Yanko a few weeks back passing in lateststampvalue into manifest built number property, however didn't see how SVN revision is retrieved.

--Gurinder

No they didn't come through unfortunately. I took a brief look at the stamping context script, is the ChangeSetId same as SVN Revision number?

RE: Getting error while copying a project

Garg, Mudit

Hi All,

I’m getting the following error when I try to copy a project:

Failed to copy the project: Error updating Workflow Definition: MaxOpenPreparedStatements limit reached

There are no running jobs in the system and AntHillPro is being used and administered only  from my machine.

Please help me in resolving this.

Regards,
Mudit Garg

System Administrator, Solutions Engineering - Technology

News international Limited

1 Virginia Street

London E98 1TH

"Please consider the environment before printing this e-mail"

The Newspaper Marketing Agency:  Opening Up Newspapers:

This e-mail and all attachments are confidential and may be privileged. If you have received this e-mail in error, notify the sender immediately. Do not use, disseminate, store or copy it in any way. Statements or opinions in this e-mail or any attachment are those of the author and are not necessarily agreed or authorised by News International (NI). NI Group may monitor emails sent or received for operational or business reasons as permitted by law. NI Group accepts no liability for viruses introduced by this e-mail or attachments. You should employ virus checking software. News International Limited, 1 Virginia St, London E98 1XY, is the holding company for the News International group and is registered in England No 81701

RE: How to tie SVN Revision to Stamp/Build Number

Gurinder.Randhawa

Curtis

I'm using the built in stamp script, i've changed stamping strategy to utilize script, however my revision number is zero always. This is the svn checkout command being executed, any ideas why i'm not getting
the revision number from repository? The script used is what is setup in Anthill by default ((Version 3.5.4_20812).

=====================
 Subversion command line: svn checkout --non-interactive --username anthill --password ***** --revision {2009-01-06 19:05:59 +0000} svn://fileserver/Applications/svn/venture/trunk/venture-pricing-ejb .
 Subversion command working Directory: /data/projects/Venture_EJB/Full_Build
 Subversion command environment:
 A build
 A .classpath
=====================

Thanks.

RE: [Anthill-pro] How to tie SVN Revision to Stamp/Build Number

No they didn't come through unfortunately. I took a brief look at the stamping context script, is the ChangeSetId same as SVN Revision number?

RE: How to tie SVN Revision to Stamp/Build Number

Gurinder.Randhawa

Curtis

Another question we have w.r.t revision number is do you guys still tag/label your project via build server or just go with revision number. Of course for any milestone release we would still tag.

[...]

You can email me the screenshot directly if you like [hidden email].

For some reason we still aren't seeing revision number change, i've restarted server/agents, the revision number is changed in SVN on project but not in AntHill still zero?
What do you guys do  if revision number doesn't change, would you not build altogether or just use the last build number?

Thanks for all the help.
Gurinder Randhawa
Applications Architect, Information Services

direct
604 303 2125
mobile
604 307 0157
toll free
1 800 663 5389 ext 3098
fax
604 276 9409

e-mail
[hidden email]
visit
www.tu-group.com

TU Group

11th Floor, 6081 No. 3 Road
Richmond, BC
Canada V6Y 2B2

RE: [Anthill-pro] How to tie SVN Revision to Stamp/Build Number

Curtis

Another question we have w.r.t revision number is do you guys still tag/label your project via build server or just go with revision number. Of course for any milestone release we would still tag.

RE: [Anthill-pro] How to tie SVN Revision to Stamp/Build Number

No they didn't come through unfortunately. I took a brief look at the stamping context script, is the ChangeSetId same as SVN Revision number?

RE: How to tie SVN Revision to Stamp/Build Number

Gurinder.Randhawa

I got this working, problem was in Changelog step setting proper status to look back from. Thanks.

What i'm noticing now is the tagged/labelled version is not being created in the tag directory of SVN under project rather at the root level,
How do we set-up a directory offset for tagged project?

Using SVN recommended layout of

/<rootproject>/trunk/<subproject>
/<rootproject>/branches/<subproject>
/<rootproject>/tags/<subproject>

we are seeing

/<taggedProject>/project contents

we would like to see each tagged project placed under
/<rootproject>/tags/<subprojectwithtag>

[...]

Varban
Mudit,

Chris and I put in some custom settings related to the database
connections in the base.xml file, he should be able to up the number of
allowed prepared statements in there to fix this.
Connections can be used by the agent status updates and schedules and
some other background processes.

Regards,
Varban

Garg, Mudit wrote:

> Hi All,
>

> I’m getting the following error when I try to copy a project:
>

> Failed to copy the project: Error updating Workflow Definition:
> MaxOpenPreparedStatements limit reached
>

> There are no running jobs in the system and AntHillPro is being used and
> administered only  from my machine.
>

> Please help me in resolving this.
>

> Regards,
> *Mudit Garg*
>
> *System Administrator, Solutions Engineering - Technology*
>
> News international Limited
>
> 1 Virginia Street
>
> London E98 1TH
>

> *"Please consider the environment before printing this e-mail" *
>
> The Newspaper Marketing Agency:  Opening Up Newspapers:
>
> www.nmauk.co.uk <http://www.nmauk.co.uk/>
>
> This e-mail and all attachments are confidential and may be privileged.
> If you have received this e-mail in error, notify the sender
> immediately. Do not use, disseminate, store or copy it in any way.
> Statements or opinions in this e-mail or any attachment are those of the
> author and are not necessarily agreed or authorised by News
> International (NI). NI Group may monitor emails sent or received for
> operational or business reasons as permitted by law. NI Group accepts no
> liability for viruses introduced by this e-mail or attachments. You
> should employ virus checking software. News International Limited, 1
> Virginia St, London E98 1XY, is the holding company for the News
> International group and is registered in England No 81701

RE: Getting error while copying a project

Garg, Mudit

Thanks Varban,

I'm not sure if this is related or not, but I had a lot of duplicate
jobs in the project I was trying to copy and as soon as I deleted them
all, the problem got resolved.

Regards,
Mudit Garg
System Administrator, Solutions Engineering - Technology
News international Limited
1 Virginia Street
London E98 1TH

Desk.  : +44 (0) 207 782 1475

www.nmauk.co.uk

This e-mail and all attachments are confidential and may be privileged. If you have received this e-mail in error, notify the sender immediately. Do not use, disseminate, store or copy it in any way. Statements or opinions in this e-mail or any attachment are those of the author and are not necessarily agreed or authorised by News International (NI). NI Group may monitor emails sent or received for operational or business reasons as permitted by law. NI Group accepts no liability for viruses introduced by this e-mail or attachments. You should employ virus checking software. News International Limited, 1 Virginia St, London E98 1XY, is the holding company for the News International group and is registered in England No 81701

Bypass Label SCM

Gurinder.Randhawa

We are having a few problems with dependency configuration on build workflows.

1. How can we bypass Label SCM step if changelog is empty? We don't want to tag the project again if there are no changes. This leads into question #2.

2. We are using a Pull Build strategy in dependency configuration, this should not force build a dependency if change log is empty yet it still triggers a new build life on dependency? The request log shows the following: I'm wondering what is triggering dependency change = true?

 Tue Jan 06 14:11:59 PST 2009: No prior successful Buildlife exists for this Workflow
 Tue Jan 06 14:12:03 PST 2009: Source Changes Found
 Tue Jan 06 14:12:32 PST 2009: Build is Needed due to:
  Source Change: true
  Dependency Change: true
  Build Forced: false

Note: For dependency configuration we have created successful builds to satisfy build life criteria. Yet builds are still being triggered as shown above in log.
--Gurinder

RE: How to tie SVN Revision to Stamp/Build Number

Gurinder.Randhawa

How do you avoid building if there are no changes in changelog or should you? In our SVN projects even though there are no changes they still get built but label step fails because its using same revision number as previous build i.e. 1.0.340 (where 340 is the revision number). For dependent projects we are using pull strategy but same thing they still get built even though no changes.

How do other people get around this or what is best practice?

--Gurinder