Timeout on step even when timeout is set to 0

Timeout on step even when timeout is set to 0

Ryan Feiock
I sporadically have a step that times out with this error:

2012-11-14 15:29:08,346 ERROR - Timeout expired: 10000ms

The step itself has a Timeout value of 0 (never time out).  The step is a VB script that will combine some files in a directory structure and copy them to a file server via UNC path.  My assumption is there is something going on with the network or destination server that is causing it to timeout, which is why it only happens every once in a while.  However, when I log information messages out to the console from the script, it appears it is not even getting into the VB Script as far as I can tell because it is not displaying my messages.

Has anyone else encountered a scenario like this?

Re: Timeout on step even when timeout is set to 0

AnthillizerDotCom
Ryan,

Is there a reason that you aren't installing an Anthill Agent on the file server and letting Anthill copy over the files rather than trying to copy to the file server using a UNC path?

You must be a VBScript developer :-)... Using VBScript would be about my last choice of scripting languages to use for any File system work within Anthill... Using Ant or Groovy or are much simpler given that every agent  install already has them installed underneath the agent directory structure.

About your error... It is difficult to tell what the problem might be.  How large are the set of files that you are copying over when you receive this timeout?

You can always browse the Anthill server logs for more details to see if they tell you any more details.

Eric Starr

On Nov 14, 2012, at 5:03 PM, Ryan Feiock <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I sporadically have a step that times out with this error:
>
> 2012-11-14 15:29:08,346 ERROR - Timeout expired: 10000ms
>
> The step itself has a Timeout value of 0 (never time out).  The step is a VB
> script that will combine some files in a directory structure and copy them
> to a file server via UNC path.  My assumption is there is something going on
> with the network or destination server that is causing it to timeout, which
> is why it only happens every once in a while.  However, when I log
> information messages out to the console from the script, it appears it is
> not even getting into the VB Script as far as I can tell because it is not
> displaying my messages.
>
> Has anyone else encountered a scenario like this?

Eric Starr Anthillizer.com

Re: Timeout on step even when timeout is set to 0

Eric Minick-2
Ryan,

This happens when the server sends a message to the agent and gets no
response for 10 seconds.

There are two causes.

1) Network issues.

2) A large number (10+) of long running concurrent jobs on that agent.

If you run many concurrent deployments through the agent, let us know and
I'll see if there's a way of increasing the worker threads. Alternately,
you can make the system more tolerant of long delays:

Try adding/changing the following to the
conf/server/installed.properties file on the server and restart
AnthillPro
install.server.defaultTimeout=20000

The line above would set the threshold to 20 seconds.

Eric Minick

mobile: (303) 619-7785
blog: blogs.urbancode.com
twitter: @EricMinick / @Urbancode
[hidden email]

*UrbanCode's tools help Dev & Ops collaborate*