Does Visual Studio 6.0 Require Locking?

Mark Melvin
Hi Everyone,

Now that I almost have our product set up in Anthillpro (over 100
projects connected via pull dependency relationships resulting in about
400 build requests per top-level build!), I noticed this morning that a
build I triggered before I went home failed.  Well, it was not obvious
that it failed...the build "request" failed.  After manually picking
through the failed build request chain (there *has* to be a better way
to navigate to the source of the failure!  Anyone know if this is any
better in 3.6?), I finally found that the build for a project about
half-way down the dependency tree had failed with the following message:

--------------------Configuration: libDiscfx - Win32
Release--------------------
 Compiling resources...
 Compiling...
 disAlgorithm.c
 libDiscfx.c
 Linking...
 LINK : fatal error LNK1104: cannot open file
"C:\DOCUME~1\_SWTRE~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\lnk246"
 LINK : fatal error LNK1141: failure during build of exports file
 Error executing link.exe.

Retriggering the build succeeded.  I don't understand why it failed with
this message, but I am thinking that perhaps Visual Studio does not
support multiple builds executing at the same time.  Does anyone know if
this is true?  I only have a few VS builds, but it is possible there was
more than one going on at the same time.

BTW - I have set up my Visual Studio projects as simple shell executions
as I already have batch files that call msdev.exe to build these
projects.  I have not looked at the Visual Studio build step in
Anthillpro.  Does it do anything special in this regard (ie. provide
automatic locking...if it is even required)?

If VS does not require locking does anyone have any idea why I would get
an error like this?

Thanks,
Mark.

Re: Does Visual Studio 6.0 Require Locking?

Eric Minick
Mark,

Word on the street is that Visual Studio builds should be serialized.
I don't have a ton of experience with it, but I've definitely fielded
a few questions that start with that assumption.

-- Eric

On Wed, Jan 28, 2009 at 9:52 AM, Mark Melvin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Everyone,
>
> Now that I almost have our product set up in Anthillpro (over 100
> projects connected via pull dependency relationships resulting in about
> 400 build requests per top-level build!), I noticed this morning that a
> build I triggered before I went home failed.  Well, it was not obvious
> that it failed...the build "request" failed.  After manually picking
> through the failed build request chain (there *has* to be a better way
> to navigate to the source of the failure!  Anyone know if this is any
> better in 3.6?), I finally found that the build for a project about
> half-way down the dependency tree had failed with the following message:
>
> --------------------Configuration: libDiscfx - Win32
> Release--------------------
>  Compiling resources...
>  Compiling...
>  disAlgorithm.c
>  libDiscfx.c
>  Linking...
>  LINK : fatal error LNK1104: cannot open file
> "C:\DOCUME~1\_SWTRE~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\lnk246"
>  LINK : fatal error LNK1141: failure during build of exports file
>  Error executing link.exe.
>
> Retriggering the build succeeded.  I don't understand why it failed with
> this message, but I am thinking that perhaps Visual Studio does not
> support multiple builds executing at the same time.  Does anyone know if
> this is true?  I only have a few VS builds, but it is possible there was
> more than one going on at the same time.
>
> BTW - I have set up my Visual Studio projects as simple shell executions
> as I already have batch files that call msdev.exe to build these
> projects.  I have not looked at the Visual Studio build step in
> Anthillpro.  Does it do anything special in this regard (ie. provide
> automatic locking...if it is even required)?
>
> If VS does not require locking does anyone have any idea why I would get
> an error like this?
>
> Thanks,
> Mark.

RE: Does Visual Studio 6.0 Require Locking?

Mark Melvin
Thanks, Eric.  I'll look at creating a lock for these projects.