Controlling workflow duration time

Igor_Fishman
Hi,

Does anybody knows what is the simplest way to control maximum time workflow could take?

For example: in case flow took more than 10 hours to run, it is wrong, not relevant anymore and waste of computer farm resources.
In such case we would like automatically cancel such flow.
How to do that?

Regards,

Igor

RE: Controlling workflow duration time

Buschmann, Peter D
Are you looking, perhaps, for the timeout setting under "Additional
Options" for each job step?

More specifically to your question, though, we haven't put together a
way to abort a workflow based on its total duration.  However, we do
examine a few database tables regularly so as to send a notification
whenever any workflow exceeds a certain duration.

Peter

Ryan Feiock
When you examine the database to determine the total duration, what fields are you looking at in which tables?  More specifically, I want to know how to exclude the initial offset of a workflow while it was sitting in a queued status.  I can find the start date and end date fields in the database, but can't find the offset information.

RE: Controlling workflow duration time

Buschmann, Peter D
We look for workflow_case.end_date to be null, job_trace.end_date to be
null and job_trace.start_date to be older than sysdate - <some
fraction>.

For us this is sufficient, but possibly comparing the workflow_case
start date with the job_trace.start_date will help with what you're
describing.

Peter

RE: Controlling workflow duration time

Eric Minick-2
Peter,

I think you're saying that there is no record of the offset. Instead it is
calculated by comparing the start of the workflow to the start of the first
job. That matches my memory. Is that correct?

- Eric

Eric Minick

mobile: (303) 619-7785
blog: blogs.urbancode.com
twitter: @EricMinick / @Urbancode
[hidden email]

*UrbanCode's tools help Dev & Ops collaborate*

On Thu, Dec 6, 2012 at 5:52 AM, Buschmann, Peter D <[hidden email]> wrote:

> We look for workflow_case.end_date to be null, job_trace.end_date to be
> null and job_trace.start_date to be older than sysdate - <some
> fraction>.
>
> For us this is sufficient, but possibly comparing the workflow_case
> start date with the job_trace.start_date will help with what you're
> describing.
>

> Peter

Yes, I believe that's true.